Sunday, October 26, 2008

Out of a Steven King Novel

Dermoid cyst of the ovary : A bizarre tumor, usually benign, in the ovary that typically contains a diversity of tissues including hair, teeth, bone, thyroid, brain, skin, cartilage etc.

This is one of many definitions I found when I googled the term. I have one of these in my left ovary. It was discovered when I had my 20 week ultrasound with Amira last May. It was about pea sized at the time. I had another ultrasound in January to see if it was still there, and it had grown to the size of a tennis ball. I haven't had another ultrasound, but chances are it has grown since then as well.

Tomorrow I am having an outpatient surgery to remove the whole ovary. Yes, the whole thing! Anyways, I went in to see the doctor on Friday morning for a pre-op appointment to receive all my do's and don'ts. I will be "under the knife" for about an hour, and then in recovery for a few more after that.

I am not at all concerned, my understanding is that this is fairly easy, and common enough.

BUT...

I spent the whole time during my appointment and have been obsessing since then about the fact that the stupid scale that they MADE me stand on, said that I gained 10 pounds!!!

WHATEVER.

It better be gone after they take that thing out of me!

I'll keep you informed!

5 comments:

Nerell said...

Good Luck with your Surgury.. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you or your family.

Linda said...

Good luck tomorrow and I hope your recovery is quick. Let us know if you need help in any way.

kath said...

Tennis balls are surprisingly heavy for their size, I'm sure you'll be 10+ lbs lighter after you recover. And even if you're not, we all love you anyway! I'll be thinking about you. Times like these I really wish you lived closer.

Crystal said...

Let me know if we can help with anything.

KellyAnne said...

You are awesome. I hope you are feeling better. I'm glad everything went smoothly! I've been thinking about you!