Monday, May 25, 2009

My First Garden

I am so very excited. This weekend, I planted my very first garden, well, actually there are two of them. I have some incredibly generous friends who live on a lot of land. They have a full field full of potatoes and corn, additionally, 4-6' x 80' raised beds, and 6 (I think, maybe 5) 4' x 4' raised beds. We spent a good part of Saturday over there planting vegetables, a lot of which we intend to can for our food storage. We planted....tomotoes, zuchini, squash, eggplant, cucumbers, watermelon, peppers, onions, pumpkins, cabbage, cauliflour, broccoli, beets, spinach, artichokes, ummmm I can't think of what else, but there is probably more.

THEN...we finally got our box put together and filled, and planted our home garden in the back yard with...tomatoes, red, green, yellow and jalepeno peppers, walla walla onions, cilantro, zuchinni, yellow squash, green beans, peas and a gourmet salad mix. David is fashioning a mini green house to go over the tomatoes and peppers so they will grow lots of stuff.

It is so cool, I cannot express my excitement, but please know, that I am excited!

3 comments:

Larkann said...

Yea!!! I know your joy!! The more I plant, the more I want to plant!! I am so jealous of your additional space at your friends house. I cannot wait till I can come up and see all the fruits of your labor!!!

Stacie said...

Actually...it is the vegetables of my labor, there isn't any fruit!

Genevieve said...

Sigh!!! I had this beautiful plot of land that just begged for planting and I always procrastinated. I needed a tiller, and we didn't have one (the ground is mostly clay!) I was planning on having some buckets and put some tomatoes in them but I think it is too late! I think I will ask Scott if we can afford to buy a couple of buckets and some tom plants! I CRAVE toms when I am pregnant! I am truly jealous that you have two great sounding gardens! Maybe next year!